Breast reduction surgery (reduction mammoplasty) is a surgery reducing the volume of the mammary glands, removing excess fat and breast ptosis.
Breast overgrowth is associated with hereditary and hormonal factors. Breast sagging (breast ptosis) occurs due to gravity and develops with age as well as after childbirth and breastfeeding.
Reduction mammoplasty can be considered when breast is big (breast size 5+) and causes physical and emotional discomfort. Overgrown breast can lead to serious health conditions in the future.
Surgical breast reduction will help fix some problems:
• Motion and physical activity restriction
• Neck, chest, lower back, and back pain
• Tensed shoulders
• Worse and curved posture
• Breast ptosis (age-related or post-lactation tissue sagging)
• Stretchmarks and worse breast shape
• Rash and irritation of skin under breast
• Discomfort when wearing a bra
• Shortness of breath due to too heavy breasts
• Discomfort during sleep
• Problems with finding fitting clothes and underwear
◾ Breast plastic surgery can also be performed on men with gynecomastia, enlargement of breast.
◾ If the patient is concerned only about big breast size, then a reduction mammoplasty, or breast reduction, is performed. But if the patient also complains about breast deformity, a condition when the main volume of breast is below the nipple and the upper part is insufficient and saggy, they will need a combination of reduction mammoplasty and mastopexy (breast lift).
PRINCIPLES OF BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY
1. Resection of excess breast volume
2. Removal of the nipple-areolar complex sagging
3. Removal of excessively stretched skin on the breast.
Reduction mammoplasty takes about 2.5 hours on average and is performed under general anesthesia. The type and scope of the operation depends on the specific case and is chosen by the plastic surgeon individually.
◾ After the operation, compression underwear is put on and it retains the new shape and size of the breast. You should wear a compression corset for about a month. During the first day, the patient stays in the inpatient unit of the clinic monitored by a plastic surgeon and medical staff.
◾ Upon discharge, the patient receives a discharge report with the dates and times of examinations, bandaging, and suture removal. The doctor also gives all recommendations about the prescribed medications and a careful lifestyle.
◾ After reduction mammoplasty, patient may experience pain in the correction area. Bruises and swellings may appear. You should reduce physical activity for the first three months. During the rehabilitation period, you should avoid sauna, swimming pool, and tanning.
◾ After three to four months, the desired aesthetic result can be already seen. The full recovery of all internal breast structures takes about a year.
The main contraindications to surgery include:
• Pregnancy and breastfeeding
• Beginning of the menstrual cycle (women)
• Malignant neoplastic process irrespective of its location
• Lower blood coagulability due to a genetic pathology or systematic use of anticoagulants
• Connective tissue diseases (scleroderma, systemic lupus erythematosus)
• High blood pressure
• Diabetes mellitus (decompensation stage)
• Diabetic angiopathy, diabetic retinopathy
• Thyroid pathology with disfunction (hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism)
• Tuberculosis, other chronic infectious diseases
• Medical history with acute vascular events (stroke, heart attack)
• Internal organ chronic disease exacerbation
During the consultation, the plastic surgeon thoroughly examines the patient's medical history as well as the test results and clinical investigations, which help spot possible contraindications to mammoplasty.
Examples of works Леснякова Антона Фёдоровича